Welcome to Year 3!
With Miss Samson and Mrs James.
Some key information.
- PE lessons are on Tuesdays, our PE kits should be brought in on Monday and kept at school all week. Please make sure your child has their PE kit with them every day as we aim to go outside for PE at least once per week.
- For this term Tennis will be on a Monday - full PE kit will be needed and as this may be outside a pair of black tracksuit trousers is recommended.
- Forest School alternates with PE on a Tuesday - dates to be confirmed due to building work in Forest school.
- Homework is set once a term. Spellings are sent home every Friday and children should be ready for a spelling challenge the following Friday.
- We change reading books every day if you have finished your book, it has been signed by a parent and we have taken our reading challenge. We are now using the accelerated reading books and we take a reading challenge when we have finished. These challenges look at our comprehension and understanding of what we have read so please make sure you are confident with the book you have read. You are welcome to read the book more than once, don't feel you have to rush to take the test as soon as you have read it as if we get less than half the questions correct the same book will be sent home to try again.
- We should aim to read as much as possible and remember you can read home books as well as our school books!
Coverage this term will be :
Multiplication and Division -
- recall and use multiplication and division facts for the 3, 4 and 8 multiplication tables
- write and calculate mathematical statements for multiplication and division using the multiplication tables that they know, including for two-digit numbers times one-digit numbers, using mental and progressing to formal written methods
- solve problems, including missing number problems, involving multiplication and division, including positive integer scaling problems and correspondence problems in which n objects are connected to m objects
We will be using Timestables Rockstars at school to support our learning and recall of different times tables. All children have been given their login details as this can be played at home. If your child has not got their login then please do not hesitate to ask for another one!
- add and subtract amounts of money to give change, using both £ and p in practical contexts
- interpret and present data using bar charts, pictograms and tables
- solve one-step and two-step questions [for example, ‘How many more?’ and ‘How many fewer?’] using information presented in scaled bar charts and pictograms and tables.
Length and Perimeter -
- measure, compare, add and subtract: lengths (m/cm/mm)
- measure the perimeter of simple 2-D shapes
- count up and down in tenths; recognise that tenths arise from dividing an object into 10 equal parts and in dividing one-digit numbers or quantities by 10
- recognise, find and write fractions of a discrete set of objects: unit fractions and nonunit fractions with small denominators
- recognise and use fractions as numbers: unit fractions and non-unit fractions with small denominators
- recognise and show, using diagrams, equivalent fractions with small denominators
- add and subtract fractions with the same denominator within one whole [for example,
7 5 + 7 1 = 7 6]
- compare and order unit fractions, and fractions with the same denominators
- solve problems that involve all of the above.